Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Cenarion Expedition

Granault’s paws ran effortlessly along the path with hardly a sound, carrying me swiftly North through the Zangarmarsh. The grey mistsaber purred lightly as he ran, ignoring the thickening air and the rising heat as the sky became hidden behind giant mushroom caps. It had been some time since I had been in the marsh, but I had not missed the humid climate. I urged my mount onward, eager to finish the journey to the Cenarion Refuge where I would talk to Ysiel Windsinger. Across Umbrafen Lake to the West I could make out a camp of Naga. They were toiling away on one of their steam pumps. No matter how much effort we put forth to shut them down, the Naga managed to keep draining the waters of the marsh for their own greed. This was part of what I wanted to talk to Ysiel about.

It was not long before we entered the refuge. Druids, both Night Elf and Tauren, busied themselves with various tasks, collecting herbs, sharpening weapons, going over strategies and plans. Most of them seemed generally excited to be here in Outland. As I tied up Granault outside the inn, I noticed a few familiar faces nearby. Friends of my parents who I had known growing up that had been part of the Cenarion Circle before the portal to this world had opened. While the circle was still hard at work in Azeroth, they sent an expedition to Outland when they heard of horrors going on in this world, and to see if their services could be of any use. Now the Cenarion Expedition, as it is known, has taken on a life of its own with members dedicated to the need here in the marsh, and in a few other places. It was for this reason that I had come, and for that I needed to see Ysiel. Smiling in acknowledgment at the faces I knew, I waved and stepped inside the inn.

At the back of the building overlooking the Northeastern area of the marsh, Ysiel Windsinger stood with her hands on the porch railing, deep in thought. A Night Elf like me, she was very tall with a medium lavender skin tone and a suit of leather armor that was dyed green. She had probably hand crafted it herself. I waited a few moments before alerting her to my presence and then greeted her softly. She turned to address me with her soft, calm eyes.

“Elionene,” she said to me smiling, “it has been some time since you passed this way. As you may have seen we have progressed little by little but have made no significant dent in the Naga’s efforts to drain the marsh.”

I nodded, and related my sight of the Naga on the other side of Umbrafen Lake. I had helped the expedition briefly a few months ago during my first visit to the marsh, leading attacks on the Naga and their steam pumps, but the Naga were resilient and continued to repair anything we managed to tear down.

“We continue to receive aid from passing adventurers and the dedicated Druids from both the Horde and Alliance, but with no new information on the Naga’s plans, we seem to be at stalemate,” Ysiel continued. “So what has brought the beloved daughter of Lorathin to this place today?”

I smiled at the mention of my father’s name. Ysiel had probably known him long ago before his life was taken at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. I returned her questioning gaze confidently. It was because of my father that I was here, and that knowledge gave me the strength to respond to her.

“Lady Windsinger, I am here to dedicate my life to the Cenarion Druids. Though I follow the path of the huntress, I know in my heart that this is where I belong. I have seen much of our own world and this foreign one in my travels, and the battles are too numerous to count. It seems that the alliance is beset on all fronts, but nothing is more pressing to me than the protection of what natural habitat remains. I come to join you, and put forth my whole effort for the expeditions needs.”

Whew. I had practiced that for the entire journey up here, spending an inordinate amount of time in Shattrath’s Aldor Rise editing my speech. I may have stuttered a little, I’m not sure, but I think my resolve and dedication was apparent. Ysiel it seems was at least pleased. Her response took me a little off guard however.

“Do you happen to have your pet nearby? The owl Lethan,” Ysiel said.

Giving her a quizzical look, I nodded, and bringing a finger to each corner of my mouth I gave three short and sharp whistles. A whoosh from the top of the inn announce where Lethan had been resting. He flew down and lit upon the ledge of the porch between me and Ysiel. He hooted questioningly and cocked his head to the side while ruffling his pure white coat of feathers. Ysiel grinned and nodded approvingly before speaking.

“You may or may not be surprised to know the story of what happened to you and Lethan in the Felwood has spread amongst the Cenarion Expedition. Olm does not often show himself to outsiders, but he chose you specifically and so we have waited for the day you would arrive. When you first passed through here you were still learning, eager to see over the next hill and around the next lake. We asked you to assist us and you gladly did so, but you still had some maturing to do, and you continued on your journey. I am proud to see you have come back to us, Elionene, and I accept you into the Expedition’s ranks. However, you must start at the beginning as everyone else has, and gain the trust of your superiors and your peers.”

Elated, I smiled and thanked Ysiel profusely. “I understand, Lady Windsinger, anything you ask of me, I am willing to work at.”

“Good,” she said, “and actually, there is something that I believe you can help us with immediately. You have already seen the Naga camps and their steam pumps. We believe these to just be extensions of a central pump where the Naga are based. You have no doubt seen the reservoir in the middle of Serpent Lake. This is where we must focus our operations. Gather a small group and investigate. Bring me anything you find that may be of use. This is your task.”

I thanked Ysiel, letting her know I would return with information soon. Lethan followed me out of the inn, and I stopped at Granault to pull a small glowing crystal out of one of my spare packs. I was eager to begin my mission for the expedition, but I could not do it alone. Thankfully, when one belongs to a guild of adventurers, explorers, and treasure hunters, it’s not hard to find a few interested parties to explore an area where there is bound to be both adventure and treasure. Smiling, I held the crystal close to my mouth and spoke softly.

“Anyone feel like hunting Naga?”

2 comments:

Alli Rense said...

Hi, I just wanted to shout out that I started a blog about my wowing adventures. It's mostly OOC, but I might include some IC bits.

-Fri

Alli Rense said...

I also wanted to add, Fri is always up for hunting naga!

And the link is here: http://blogofcorruption.blogspot.com