Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lethan's Transformation

Over the following months Lethan and I would become fast friends, able to communicate in ways even mysterious to us but necessary in our battle against the horde and the Burning Legion. I could not have asked for a more dedicated and deadly hunting partner. His claws were like razors and his screech was deafening when directed at our prey. In outward appearances, Lethan was indistinguishable from most of the other Strigid Sceechers upon Teldrassil, a mottled mix of gray and white, with long wing feathers, and an intelligent gaze. Having left Teldrassil, we traveled the continent of Kalimdor, helping those in need and seeking out new challenges in unfamiliar land.

I had business in Everlook, in the northern part of the continent. The trek on foot was long and treacherous, leading through the heart of Felwood. Though I had grown up on the edges of the cursed forest, I had never actually been very deep into the woods. Now, being a nearly full trained huntress, I ventured cautiously through the woods, Lethan flapping his wings behind me as he glided back and forth, ears and eyes alert for any danger. We stuck to the road, not wanting to draw the attention of any demons or corrupted wildlife.

We were making good time as our encounters had been few. Other than a diseased bear and a few errant oozes, we were able to reach the northern most parts of the wood without resistance. The Druids at the Emerald Glade had made mention of a new Alliance outpost near this area, Talonbranch Glade, where we could rest before trekking through the tunnel to Winterspring.

Bolstered in my confidence by the ease with which Lethan and I had come so far, I veered off the road in what I believed to be a shortcut to the Glade, through a large grove of Irontrees. As we walked further into the grove, the light began to wane and the brush became thicker, until we were slicing through limbs and bushes with my daggers to reach the other side. Lethan’s flight was impaired by the many tree limbs. I started to regret leaving the road. I was about to slash at a branch to clear the path when the branch suddenly lurched and snatched the dagger from my hand. I was startled, and in my hesitation I did not see another branch come swinging around behind me, knocking me to the ground.

With a high pitched screech, Lethan dived at the beast, a large Irontree treant, a walking forest spirit that appeared as a tree. In past times, these beings were peaceful and friendly to the Night Elf peoples and the Druids especially. The Legions desecration of the forest had turned them foul, and now we were being set upon by at last three of the treants. Using my other dagger, I sliced at the branch holding me on the ground and was able to rise from where I had been pushed over. The treant in front of me snarled and lunged at me. I ducked and rolled to the side, bringing the dagger up in front of me as I rose and plunged it into the back of the treant, just below the head area. The dagger dug deep into the bark and the treant went limp.

I turned to see a horrible sight. Lethan was fighting a losing battle against two of the creatures. He had managed to keep their attention off of me while I handled the single treant. With as much speed as I could muster, I reached for my bow and began to notch an arrow, but it was too late. Lethan, exhausted, could not stand up to the two treants. With a final screech he launched at the largest one, but was swatted aside by a massive, knotted hand. I shouted, no, I screamed out loud as he fell to the ground, a mess of blood and feathers.

With one dagger missing and the other stuck in the dead treant, all I had to defend myself was my bow, and I was at too close range for it to do me any good. The two corrupted treants advanced on me. Shouting and crying, I turned to run, to escape these murderous beasts, but my leg was caught by their long branch-like fingers and I tumbled forward as the treant pulled me back.

I had been beaten, and I had nearly given up hope when a light appeared from above me. The light was a brilliant white, and I heard a familiar flapping of wings as an object came swooping down on the treant which held me. The shocked treant let go and reached up to protect its face, but it was too late, as what was now recognizable as a pure white bird dug its talons deep into the face of the monster, immobilizing it. Without hesitation, the bird, seeing its first quarry now defeated, launched itself at the other treant with a powerful flap of its wings. The remaining treant, being alone and bested, began to lumber off into the forest as the bird gave chase.

I was alone now. I crawled over to where Lethan had fallen. His limp form lay up against the base of a regular immobile tree. His breathing was extremely shallow. His injuries were beyond even the best pet mending spells I knew. His head turned slowly to look at me as I cried, unable to assist my best friend. I heard him utter a soft hoot, as if to say goodbye, and then we both turned our heads to the sound of flapping, descending slowly upon us from the tree tops. It was an owl, similar in appearance to Lethan, but larger and with brilliant white feathers that seemed to glow. And in my grief, and shock, I did not even realize how odd it was when the white owl spoke to me. He spoke not with words, but in my mind.

Child, I am Olm the Wise, protector of these woods and aid to those of the Cenarion Circle. I knew your father, Lorathin. You remind me much of him. Brash, headstrong, and over-confident. But you are also strong and loyal. I see the pain that the loss of your companion has brought you. No one should walk these lands alone, especially in these dark days. I can help Lethan, but it will come at a cost, and he will not be exactly as he was. Can you accept this?

My face wet from tears, I nodded at Olm. My father had never mentioned him to me, though I knew that the Cenarion Circle enlisted many kinds of creatures to aid their mission to heal the forests corrupted by the Legion. Without Lethan, I would not be half the hunter that I was. Seeing me agree, Olm softly hooted and rose above the forest canopy, out of my sight. I looked to Lethan’s now lifeless form, still limp and broken against the tree.

A few seconds passed before something happened. Lethan’s body began to glow a feint green, and the light started to pulse, glowing brighter with each new wave. Without any visible force, the owl began to rise off the ground. I stood up as Lethan floated above my head and watched as the wings began to extend and his head turned forward. In a sudden flash of green and white light, I heard a piercing screech come from Lethan, shattering the silence. My eyes widened in wonder as I watched his mottled gray feathers drip from his body like tears, revealing a gleaming white feather coat beneath. It started at his tail and reached up to his wings and finally his head. When the transformation was complete, the light subsided and a glowing white owl flapped steadily in front of me.

“Lethan?” I ventured. The owl flew at me, hooting happily and danced in the air above my shoulders. He was back with me! I began to cry again, in joy this time for the return of my dear friend. Even with his new color, he was recognizable as the companion who had hunted with me since I left Teldrassil. Then, though I could not see him, I heard Olm speak to me again.

Child, in payment for the return of your companion, I ask one thing only. After you have traveled the land and seen the sufferings and joys of its people and explored to the far reaches seeking as much knowledge as you can, you must return to the Circle and serve them in whatever capacity they see fit. Your father would be proud of you. Now go.

As my mind cleared, so did an area in front of us, and through the clearing was a path to Talonbranch Glade up ahead. I knew in my heart I would return to help the Circle some day soon. I owed it to Olm. And to my father.

No comments: