Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Friends of the Family

I have been steadily at work for the Cenarion Expedition for several months now. Each foray into the Coilfang Resevoir provides new clues and new information for the druids, and they have rewarded me greatly for my service to them. My work is far from done, so I will continue to fight the Naga at their home base and prevent them from furthering their destruction in other lands.

In a rare moment between strategizing and materials gathering, I found myself back in Azeroth to visit my mother in the Temple of Elune. An able priestess, she was always to be found in the Temple, often praying for me and others close to our family as we ventured into the world, never ceasing in her duty to Tyrande and our people. It was during this visit that I was greeted with a most welcome surprise. After meeting my mother, we walked to her home on the edge of the city where she had guests.

"Uncle Salthier!" I exclaimed.

His long forest green hair was pulled up into a ponytail and swayed as he laughed and smiled at my appearance. There was much joy in his amber glowing eyes as we embraced in a friendly manner. It had been many years since I had last seen Salthier. He was not actually my uncle, but he had been a friend of my father for many, many years, and I had grown to address him as such. Though he looked of modest age with his smooth features and a full beard, he was actually much, much older. Both he and my father had fought at Mt. Hyjal, but where my father had drawn upon the powers of nature as a Druid, Salthier was more well versed in physical combat. He had never shown the aptitude for druidism that most of the male Night Elves had, and had instead taken the path of a warrior. Salthier had been with my father when he fell to the legion, and was the one to let my family know of our loss. He then helped us relocate to Teldrassil, but soon after that he went on a journey to the other side of the world, and I have not seen him until this moment.

"Well then, how is little Elio' doing these days? I hear you have become quite the huntress," he remarked with a sparkle in his eye. I gave him a proud look in return, surprised that he had heard of my small exploits in the world.

"Yes, Uncle, I am doing my best to serve the Circle and their expedtion in Outland. The Naga have even spread into other lands to sow their corruption. Anything I can do to slow it is worth it."

His face became a little more serious at the mention of the Naga. None of us had forgotten where the Naga had come from, or of the past sins of the Kal'dorei.

"Yes, yes, well it is for that and other reasons that I have come to visit you and your mother, Elionene. But first, some good news!"

Salthier went outside and called to a pretty Night Elf priestess who was admiring the flowers in my mother's garden. She had long bluish hair, similar to mine, but her face was more mature and did not have any markings upon it. She wore a simple, hand crafted dress of blue and white that flowed gracefully around her as she walked our direction.

"Elionene, I would like you to meet Lal, my life-mate," said Salthier proudly as Lal reached us.

Lal directed her silver eyes at me and said, "Elune-Adore, Elionene. It is an honor to meet you and your family. Salthier speaks of you and your parents quite highly."

"Ishnu'alah, Lal. It is also my honor to meet you," I replied. Salthier stood by and smiled a larger smile than I have ever seen on his face. It made me happy to see them together. Truly it was a match made by Elune.

We retired back to the sitting room, and Salthier began to relate the story of the last few years to us, bringing us up to speed on his arrival in Darnassus.

"After I had helped you to move to this place, I returned the now empty battlefield and found myself lacking. Yes, we had won the war, but at such a cost! Our long lives now shortened and many friends lost to eternity, including your father. For many years I fought and trained as a warrior, but it was not the warriors that won that day for us. It was the druids like your father who led the assault and who called upon the spirit of the world itself to fight against the Burning Legion. I have often longed to learn the druidic ways, but I was never able to adapt to them as well as the others, as well as your father. I decided then to travel, to see what this new alliance had wrought and to learn more of our new friends, the humans.

"A few years passed, and I eventually found myself in the land of Azshara, the buildings now in ruins. I lay down to sleep in an ancient shrine, and in my dreams, a voice spoke to me. It was warm voice, a comforting voice, deep and rich in tone. It said to me that my desire to serve Cenarius even as a warrior had not gone by unnoticed. I was to return to Teldrassil, and seek my calling there. Upon waking, I felt a great peace, as if my wanderings and learnings had been for this purpose alone. When I arrived back in Rut'theran Village, Lal was waiting for me. We had been friends when we were younger, many years ago, and I was quite surprised to see her standing on the boat dock. She had been prompted as I had, in a dream. She had recently began her studies to become a priestess in service to the Mother Moon, and the voice of Elune had prompted her to await my coming.

"We soon became life-mates and now we are continuing our studies in earnest, she with the Temple, and myself with the Cenarion Circle. It is through the Circle that I heard of your many accomplishments, Elionene, and I decided it was high time I visited you and your mother once again."

I sat wide eyed, mouth open, as Salthier related his story to us. It appeared as if Cenarius himself had spoken from the Emerald Dream to my uncle.

Salthier continued, "Yes, it has not been easy learning the ways of a Druid, but whatever had kept me from truly learning it before, has vanished. I find it easier to translate my training as a warrior by calling upon the spirit of the bear, but I am slowly learning the other, more subtle nuances of the path."

"I am so happy for you, Uncle. Elune has truly blessed you and Lal. I wish you well in your journey together, wherever it takes you."

It was now a late hour, and Salthier and Lal had business at the temple. I also had to get rested for the coming expeditions into the Naga strongholds in Zangarmarsh. We said our farewells and went our seperate ways for the night. I was awed at Salthier's transformation, and knew that Elune had sent Lal to him to help guide his journey from warrior to druid. I was also certain that our paths would cross again.

And probably sooner than I expected.

No comments: